NMTA Receive NMTA News Updates by Email  

Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Northwest Salmon Derby Series grand prize boat awarded to Post Falls, Idaho angler





SEATTLE – Oct. 10, 2018 – Joshua Stokes of Post Falls, Idaho, was at home watching TV with his father Roy Stokes on Sept. 23 when his cell phone rang.

“I saw the 206 Seattle area code number, and hit ignore since I had no idea why someone from there would be calling me,” Joshua said with a chuckle. “Then I listened to the voicemail message. I told my dad wouldn’t it be “rad” if I won the boat. He was like yeah right and jokingly said I probably won a hat or t-shirt and they want your address.”

Little did the Post Falls native realize, but the call was coming from Mark Yuasa the director of the Northwest Salmon Derby Series. Mark had some great news: Joshua’s name had been randomly drawn at the Everett Coho Derby from almost 7,000 anglers following the conclusion of the 2018 Northwest Salmon Derby Series.

Yuasa left a voicemail although he didn’t tell the younger Stokes that he’d won a grand prize, fully-equipped aluminum boat valued at around $65,000.
Yuasa went back to cleaning up at Everett Coho Derby that drew more than 1,700 anglers when his cell phone rang about five minutes later.

“(Yuasa) told me I won the boat and I was super spaced out and fully didn’t realize what happened to me,” Joshua said. “It still doesn’t feel real and I’ll know for sure once I get the keys to boat.”

Joshua’s name was entered into the derby series drawing after fishing in The Big One Salmon Derby on Lake Coeur d’Alene in northern Idaho on July 25-29.

“This was the first year I bought a ticket to the Big One Derby since I was 15 years old, and that ticket was totally worth it now,” he said. “I’d been fishing with my dad since I was three years old, and caught my first fish a 28 pound chinook at Lake Coeur d’Alene soon after. I got so scared and wouldn’t go near the huge fish. In 1996, I caught a 22 pounder in the derby and took 17th place.”

Both have been longtime members of the Lake Coeur d’Alene Anglers Association and Joshua’s dad was the past president of the club.

The boat is the 15th grand prize boat, motor, and trailer package that has been given away since the Series was created in 2004.

This year’s Kingfisher 2025 Series boat is powered by a 150-horsepower Honda and a 9.9-horsepower Honda trolling motor, on an EZ Loader tandem axle trailer. The boat came fully-equipped with Raymarine electronics, Scotty Downriggers, WhoDat Tower, and a Dual Electronics stereo.

“How thrilling this was for me to hear the excitement in his voice and all the plans he has in store to take the boat out fishing,” said Yuasa. “This boat and motor package is top-of-the-line and will provide Joshua and his dad with more fishing memories to come. He said he can’t wait to take the boat out soon.”

The Northwest Salmon Derby Series is a fishing promotion program directed by the NMTA that encourages boating and fishing in the Northwest. In 2018, the Series included 14 derbies in Washington, Idaho and British Columbia, Canada. For each derby an angler competes in, they get one entry into the drawing for the grand prize boat held at the final derby in the Series.

For more information, visit www.NorthwestSalmonDerbySeries.com.
                                              ###
About the Northwest Marine Trade Association
The NMTA is the nation’s largest regional marine trade association. It represents more than 700 companies in the recreational boating industry, including boat dealers, boat brokers, marinas, boatyards, manufacturers, retailers and suppliers of boating accessories and services. The NMTA’s mission is to promote the growth of recreational boating and member businesses. The NMTA produces the Seattle Boat Show – the West Coast’s largest boat show – on Jan. 25-Feb. 2, and the Anacortes Boat Show on May 16-19. Additional information is available at www.nmta.net.

Contact
Mark Yuasa
NMTA Director of Grow Boating Program
and NW Salmon Derby Series
(206) 619-8868

0 Comments :

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Subscribe to RSS Feed


Powered by Blogger